Introduction offer and Training
What training do we offer?
Throughout the academic year we run training for parents and carers, and training for staff working in Early Years settings with children with additional needs. The majority of training is delivered virtually, via Zoom.
We have also created a series of Workshop Training Videos for Parents.
Our INTRODUCTION OFFER
Parents and carers of children with global developmental delay and/or social communication differences , are invited to join our Introduction Offer.
Families are invited to join these sessions within 7 weeks of referral being accepted to the Specialist Pathway of our service.
The offer includes:
- an Introduction workshop for parents and carers, highlighting key elements of our service and services available in Barnet
- Early Communication workshop - looking at developing the foundation communication skills and how to use visuals to support language development
- Pre-school Live. This is a series of 4 live and interactive teaching sessions for parents/carers and their children to join.
- A Q and A session, where parents/carers ask questions and share their concerns with members of our team.
- NB these sessions are all delivered over Zoom
MAKATON SIGNING FOR BABIES
Our qualified Makaton trainers deliver this free course each term.
This course is designed for parents and family members who would like to learn more about Makaton Signing for Babies and how it can help support language development. It runs for 6 hours , over 4 weeks.
If you would like to be invited please let your child’s Early Years SEND Advisor know and you will be invited when the next course is run.
The course is delivered via Zoom.
EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE PLAN workshop
A 1.5 hour workshop aimed which explains what an Education and Health Care Plan is.
The workshop looks at : the process of requesting an Education Needs Assessment, the steps and timeline within the assessment process and the importance of parental views.
This workshop aims to explore:
- supporting positive relationships with your child
- supporting communication with your child
- how use play and develop different types of play with your child
- sensory needs of your child
DOWNS SYNDROME TRAINING FOR SCHOOLS
For schools receiving reception aged children with Downs Syndrome, we offer training in the summer term before the children are due to start with them. The training covers information about Downs Syndrome, the learning profile and advice on strategies and interventions which are effective in supporting the children’s development. Attendance is considered an essential part of our transition offer. Following attendance at this your Early Years SEND Advisor will offer a visit to the school in the Autumn term.
TRANSITIONS TRAINING - Successful Next Steps
1.5hr session for receiving schools, of reception and nursery aged children known to our service.
This is an opportunity to explore Quality First Teaching Strategies that will support children when they transfer into a new setting. It is offered to all schools who receive children who have had support from the Early Years SEND Advisory Team.