Our aim at Oakleigh is that all pupils work towards full attendance.
I am writing to ask for your co-operation in this matter. It is very clear to us that when a child attends school full time they learn more. When children have their daily routines they do not forget or lose their skills. This is especially important for children’s communication. The majority of children have good attendance.
In the case of non-attendance there is now a legal framework which must be followed.
Under this legal guidance school cannot give leave for holidays. Please do not book holidays in term time. The children have 13 weeks holiday from school each year.
If attendance falls below a certain level this will be reviewed and the reason for the absence looked into in detail.
Head teachers may no longer grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Clearly there are many situations which may constitute exceptional circumstances, but as a generality I interpret 'exceptional' in this context as being of unique and significant emotional, educational or spiritual value to the child, which outweighs the loss of teaching time.
Parents now also need to be aware that if they take their child out of school without agreement form the Head teacher a referral to the Local Authority Early Intervention Services can follow. As a result;
- You can receive a Penalty Notice of £60
- You can receive a court summons, which can lead to a criminal record and fine.
- Your child may be at risk of losing their school place.
What to do
- Please contact the school directly before 9am each day to report an absence giving the reason for the absence.
- Please do not pass messages to school about your child’s attendance via the bus escort or driver as it is very busy in the school in the mornings and the message may not be given.
- Please send any medical appointment letters or cards in with your child. We will take a copy and return the original back to you.
- If your child has an appointment during the day they should still attend school before or after the appointment.
- There is an answer phone service available on the school telephone line at all times.
- Please press 0 for the school office and if no-one is available to take your call you can leave a message 24 hours a day.
- If there are exceptional circumstances, you will need to download complete the form below, and return it to the Headteacher.
We are always happy to meet with you to discuss any specific issues or answer any questions that you may have.